When you use any of our services on trivago, our mobile sites or mobile applications, we may collect information using cookies. This information is used to provide you with a more personalised service and so we can continuously improve our products.
We never sell the information we collect using cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties
1 - What are cookies?
Cookies are small files of numbers and letters that are stored in a user's browser when they visit a website. When a user returns to the website, their browser sends these files back to the website, allowing personalised content to be shown on the user's screen.
We use session cookies for the duration of your visit and persistent cookies for repeat visits to fulfill two main functions:
2.1 - Providing you with a personalised experience
These essential cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users on our website and allow you interact with several features on our website. For example, the following features rely on cookies:
- Remembering your country and language settings.
- Selecting your favourite hotels.
- Viewing a history list that shows your previous searches and specific hotels that you already viewed.
- Comparing hotels using our hotel comparison feature.
- Logging in to the trivago Content Community.
- Receiving suggestions for destinations and hotels that may be of interest to you. This includes providing personalised hotel suggestions in trivago advertisements that may appear on other websites.
Without cookies, these features and many others would not function.
2.2 - Use for analytical purposes
Analytic cookies help us improve our website by anonymously tracking which links and features are used most frequently. This information is used to create anonymous and aggregated statistics which we use to identify problematic and successful areas of our website. These cookies play an important role in continually providing you with an optimised experience on our website.
3 - How do I manage my cookie preferences?
Should you decide to prevent cookies from being stored in your browser, please note that you may not be able to use some of the key features on our website. However, you will still be able to make basic hotel searches.
If you would like to monitor or prevent cookies from being set in your browser, you can modify your browser settings to receive notifications whenever cookies are being used or to completely block the storage of cookies. You may also delete cookies that are already stored in your browser. Where to find these settings depends on your browser. Using your browser's "Help" section, you will be able to locate these settings.
If cookies are necessary for the use of the trivago webpage (functionality), those session cookies do not require your prior consent. Those session cookies will expire after you have left the homepage. Persistent cookies and third-party cookies may require your prior consent to track your choices you made on the website and your preferences. Your consent is declared through the opt-in function on our website.
5 - More information about cookies
5.1 - Session cookies
Session cookies are temporary cookies that are stored in the user's browser until they close their browser window - at which point the session cookies are cleared.
5.2 - Persistent cookies
Persistent cookies are used for repeat visitors and are kept in the user's browser for a set period of time (usually a year or longer). These cookies are not cleared when the browser is closed. This type of cookie is used to recall user preferences so that every time a site is visited, the user's preferred settings are automatically provided.
5.3 - First party cookies
A type of cookie that is set by the site the user is visiting and can only be read by that site.
5.4 - Third party cookies
Third party cookies are set by an organisation that does not own the site that the user is visiting. These are normally cookies set by specialist marketing or analytics organisations.
6 - Which third party cookies does trivago use?
We may use the following third party cookies:
6.1 - Google
We use various products and features provided by Google Inc. (1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA; "Google").
- Google Tag Manager
- For reasons of transparency please note that that we use the Google Tag Manager. The Google Tag Manager itself does not collect personal data. It facilitates the integration and management of our tags. Tags are small code elements which serve to measure traffic and visitor behaviour, to detect the impact of online advertising or to test and optimize our websites. For further information about the Google Tag Manager visit: https://www.google.com/intl/de/tagmanager/use-policy.html
- Google Analytics
- This website uses the analytics service Google Analytics. Google Analytics uses "cookies", which are text files placed on your computer, to help the website analyse how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States.
- We draw your attention to the fact that Google Analytics is supplemented by the code "gat._anonymizeIp();" on this website to guarantee the anonymised collection of IP addresses (so called IP-masking).
- You can refuse the use of Google Analytics by clicking on the following link. An opt-out cookie will be set on the computer, which prevents the future collection of your data when visiting this website:
- Disable Google Analytics
- Further information concerning the terms and conditions of use and data privacy can be found at http://www.google.com/analytics/terms/gb.html or at https://www.google.de/intl/en_uk/policies/. Please note that on this website, Google Analytics code is supplemented by "anonymizeIp" to ensure an anonymized collection of IP addresses (so called IP-masking).
- Google Dynamic Remarketing
- We use Google Dynamic Remarketing to advertise trivago across the Internet, in particular on the Google Display Network. Dynamic remarketing will display ads to you based on what parts of our websites you have viewed by placing a cookie on your web browser. This cookie does not in any way identify you or give access to your computer or mobile device. The cookie is used to indicate to other websites that "This user visited a particular page, so show them ads relating to that page." Google Dynamic Remarketing allows us to tailor our marketing to better suit your needs and only display ads that are relevant to you.
- DoubleClick by Google
6.2 - Facebook
We also use retargeting tags and Custom Audience provided by the company Facebook Inc. (1601 S. California Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304 USA, "Facebook").
- Facebook Custom Audiences
- In the context of interest-based online advertising, we use the product Facebook Custom Audiences. For this purpose, a non-reversible and non-personal checksum (hash value) is generated from your usage data. That hash value can be transmitted to Facebook for analysis and marketing purposes. The collected Information contain your activities on the website of the trivago N.V. (e.g. browsing behavior, visited subpages, etc.). Your IP address is transmitted as well and used for geographical controlling of advertising. The data collected is only transmitted encrypted to Facebook and is anonymous to us that means the personal data of individual users are not visible to us.
- Facebook Exchange FBX
- When you visit our websites with the help of remarketing tags, a direct connection between your browser and the Facebook server is established. Facebook gets the information that you have visited our website with your IP address. This allows Facebook to assign your visit to our website to your user account. The information thus obtained we can use for the display of Facebook Ads. We point out that we as provider of the website have no knowledge of the content of the transmitted data and the use of it by Facebook.
- Facebook Conversion Tracking Pixel
- By using the website you agree to the data processing associated with the integration of Facebook pixel.
- Please click here if you would like to revoke your permission: https://www.facebook.com/ads/settings.
6.3 - BlueKai
BlueKai maintains a consumer tool called the BlueKai Registry, which allows you to view all third-party Interest Data in the Oracle Audience Data Marketplace that is applicable to the computer that views the registry.
You can opt out directly from third-party interest based advertising by downloading Oracle's BlueKai opt-out cookie.
For further Information about BlueKai visit:
6.4 - Criteo
We use technologies provided by Criteo SA (32 Rue Blanche, 75009 Paris, France, "Criteo"). Criteo collects and uses technical data relating to your browsing navigation to display personalized advertisements. The browser cookies track the products viewed by the visitor and pages visited of the partner for whom Criteo is delivering ads. Pixel tags are used by Criteo to transfer browsing data from visitors of our partner's websites to Criteo's servers. Criteo does not use or store your IP address for targeting purposes or hardware-based identifiers such as UDID or Mac Address.
6.5 - AppNexus
- Interest-based advertising
- Limiting the number of times a user sees a particular ad
- Showing ads in a particular sequence
- Customizing ads to a particular geographic region
- Showing ads related to the content of the web page on which they are shown
- Determining when users respond to ads
- Reporting aggregated statistics regarding, for example, the effectiveness of online advertising campaigns
You can opt out of interest-based advertising by AppNexus here or by deactivating Java-Script in your Browser. For further Information visit:
6.6 - Hotjar
Hotjar is an Analysis and Feedback tool provided by Hotjar Ltd (Level 2,St Julians Business Centre, 3, Elia Zammit Street, St Julians STJ 1000, Malta, Europe) that reveals the online behaviour and feedback of website's visitors. Hotjar uses a tracking code, which collects your information and transmit this to their servers based in Ireland. The following information may be collected through your device and browser:
- your device's IP address (collected and stored in an anonymized format);
- device screen size;
- device type (unique device identifiers) and browser information;
- geographic location (country only);
- preferred language used to display the webpage.
We only use this Information to improve the functionality of our websites and make them more user-friendly, more valuable and simpler for you to use.
6.7 - Mixpanel
6.8 - Piwik